21 June 2007

Oh Calcutta!!!

I read this beautiful article on Calcutta today. It was titled Calcutta forever. The Communist government completes 30 years in West Bengal and hence the article.



Calcutta is forever. Yes, it is. For me it will always be Calcutta and not Kolkata. It was so refreshing to see the name of the city being spelt as "Calcutta" and not "Kolkata". It was a very well written article, one that made me nostalgic about the city and its wonders, the Coffee House, the trams, bus conductors shouting Garia, BBD Bag, etc., the adda and tea for 50paise, and lot more.



I am not from Calcutta, but the city has always been close to my heart. Maybe because it’s my birthplace or maybe for the mere fact that I am a Bengali. The description of Calcutta in the article took me back to a time when I would hold my father's hands and stroll through the streets and then finally stop somewhere to eat the beguni or aloo chop.



I went to Calcutta a few months back after a long gap and I was amazed to see the changes. Malls, pubs, KFC's, Baristas and the Cafe Coffee Days. Yet what I love about the city is the co existence of the past and the present. I am happy that the city is growing yet I can still find those small things that used to give me immense happiness. The writer wrote that the old Calcutta sheds its skin slowly. I agree to some extent but I don't think Calcutta will shed its old skin completely ever. As he wrote..... Calcutta is forever!!!

No comments: