15 February 2012

No Ma'm, we do not like short hair here

Last week, I was at the airport waiting for my cab. There was a group of foreigners next to me. A girl was staring at me, I smiled at her. She walked up to me and told me that I am the second Indian woman she has seen with short hair and the first with short hair and a sari.

That got me thinking. You actually do not see many Indian women with short hair. Sure there are women who sport stylish bobs but really short, boy cuts, not many. I pictured all the women I knew and realized that only one of them had short hair. Even the celebrities do not have short hair. In the West, we see celebrities with short hair like Meg Ryan, but not here. Sure, they do wear wigs at times but they do not chop off their hair. Why?

I asked my male friends and most of them said that they prefer girls with long hair. Is it because of that? We always look for that nod of approval, esp from our partners and in most cases short hair does not get that. I know that the BF does not like me with short hair. But, what the heck, it is my hair and I will wear it the way I want to.

I still do not know why we do not see many Indian women with short hair and I want to know what people have to say about it. Do share your thoughts on it.

No comments: