27 January 2012

To Chennai Auto Bhaiyya, With Love!

Dear Chennai Auto Bhaiyya (Sorry, I do not know the Tamil of Bhaiyya!)

Vanakkam!

First, let me thank you for making my one day visit to Chennai a most memorable one!

You, my dear, are a rare species. I have lived in three Indian cities (Shillong, Delhi and Bangalore) and have travelled by autos in numerous other cities but nowhere have I met anyone who even closely resembles you. Anyone who cribs to be me about the condition of autos in other cities, I have one word for them - You haven't yet seen the Chennai ones. You redefine the words rude, obnoxious and EXPENSIVE. Whoever said that Delhi is a con man's city is yet to meet you, my friend!

I had to travel from Point A to point B and the distance was around 15kms. I thought I would be penny wise and take an auto instead of a cab. That was one of the worst decisions of my life. I stepped out in the morning and started the hunt for autos. One gentleman offered to take me to my destination for 1100/-. I though that was his idea of a practical joke. Only, 15 minutes later and after asking around 10 more autos, I realised that it wasn't one.   I used my negotiation skills and finally found an auto which took me to my destination for a whooping 550/-.

When I complained to my Chennai friends they politely told me that it was the norm for a North Indian. Now, I have half the mind to sue all the travel websites that forget to include this one major point while giving details about Chennai - While visiting Chennai ensure that you know your Tamil, else be prepared to be mocked, ridiculed and robbed.

Auto Bhaiiya, please realise that Tamil is not yet a compulsory subject in school in other parts of India. I am also no linguist. So, my not knowing the language does not entitle you to rob me in broad daylight. Also, why don't you all take some geography lessons? Anyone who is not from the four Southern States does not automatically become a North Indian. There are two other directions also, you know, like West and East. Trust me a Mumbaikar or a Bengali may actually bash you up someday because they dislike being North Indians as much as you hate North Indians, if not more. I also wanted to ask you one question, why do you dislike Non South Indians so much? Next time, I will get a Google Translator and pose that question to you. I really, really want to know the answer to that.

Although, I really wanted to like Chennai and come back again, you have ensured that it does not happen. I was not able to take happy memories with me when I left Chennai. Tourism eventually will help you and your attitude does a lot to hamper that. I hope that someday you realize this.

Yours Faithfully,
Non South Indian Friend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had similar experience in Chennai. Someone should should do something about it :(

Pooja said...

eeep..have heard similar horror stories from friends in Madras and I thought the Blore autowalas were bad..they are but I think they've been getting better lately. I do some serious racial profiling whilst hailing an auto and Tam guy is almost always going to ask for more money and/or have a screwed meter, so I try and avoid them.
I once heard someone tell me that a Madras auto wala had flashed her after taking more than double the fare! Creepy!

all that matters said...

Trust me Bangalore Auto guys are saints compared to Chennai ones. I can almost kiss the B'lore ones.